Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Producer's Note

"gOInG iNtO aCtIng iS LiKe aSkIng FoR AdmIssiOn To aN InsAnE asYLUm. AnYonE may apPLy, bUt OnLy THe CerTiFiaBiLy InSaNe ArE aDmiTTed."-Michael Shurtleff
I must have been insane to choose the life of an actor. Always struggling, never living beyond the moment, hustling yet surviving, inspired ready for the next moment. I love it, but there have been times when hated it. Not too long ago, I decided that I had endured enough. I felt that I had to make some changes in order to stop living inside simple survival and start living my life’s dream to its fullest potential. So, I had to move back to sweet, sweet Trinidad and start my own company. Thus gRiOt was born, and like a kinda magic "Jestina’s Calypso" went up, sold out and received rave reviews ... Ha! Ah wish!!! Talk about biting off more than I could chew! (If you are reading this, obviously I didn’t spit anything out). I couldn’t tell you the first thing about owning, running or producing for a theatre company; proposal, budget? Huh? I could barely budget my own meager income. But the one thing I was certain of going into this venture was that I, Isoke, Producer of gRiOt PrOduCtiOnS, needed to find the right persons for the two most important jobs in the company. Lucky for me, Barts (Artistic Director) and Tons (Production Manager) shared my frustrations, passion and my vision. Somebody say “DIVINE ORDER.” Destiny. Don't get me wrong… It has not been easy, the only thing harder than navigating through our differences has been getting Sponsorship !!!!
tHe gOaL Of tHe RevOLUtiOnaRy aRtiSt, is tO mAKe tHe revOLUtiOn IrResiStibLe" -Toni Cade Bambara
gRiOt came to me onstage in Nina Mercer’s "Gutta Beautiful" whilst taking my bow getting ready to part ways with Orchid aka Alice in Wonderdick. Nina had made her movements in the revolution irresistible to me through Gutta. She held up a big ass mirror for people to see their own ugly reflections, their deepest fears and twisted realities. After many auditions, type castings, forgettable roles and one trip back home, I knew I needed to do that right here. It has always been the function of the artist in whatever medium to reflect our reality, even that which we coat with our silence. gRiOt comes to break that silence by demanding your attention. We challenge you to speak, laugh, shout, protest or cry. Whether the noise is enraged or exuberant, it is only by articulating our voices that we can define our culture.
“MoSt peOpLe aRe NoT rEallY Free. ThEy aRe cOnFiNed bY ThE NiChE iN tHe WOrLd ThAt theY cArVE oUT fOr thEmSelVeS. ThEy LiMit tHeMsElVes To FeweR PoSSiBiLiTiEs By ThE NARRoWnEss oF TheIr vISiOn.”-V.S. Naipaul
When you have vision, there is no room to be frightened. If I stopped to think for too long, craving definite certainty, gRiOt would not exist and I would be working a 9-5. My vision for gRiOt is to be free….free to go out into the real world experiencing and exploring its most ugly and beautiful truths. Free to move, to dance, to grow in which ever direction we choose. Along the way, we hope to revolutionize the way theatre is viewed, and introduce new and limitless possibilities.
"iF i HaVE sEEn FuRthEr It Is oNly By StAnDiNG oN thE sHouLDerS oF gIaNTs."-Issac Newton

In all we do we must not forget to honor those who make what we do possible. Those revolutionary artists who were deliberate, afraid of nothing. Those who refused to be silenced and when they spoke did so in their own voice. In 1974, Earl Lovelace wrote "Jestina’s Calypso," and it is as relevant today as it was then. The issues have not changed, despite appearances. Lovelace’s characters continue to be a metaphor for our islands; the racial tension and dissension caused by class; the stereotypes that permeate our consciousness, shaping how we interact with each other and even view ourselves; the expectations of others and insecurities that limit us from reaching our full potential. Griot Productions will continue to honor our playwrights, the contemporary griots who continue the tradition of our ancestors by telling our stories.

Ase

Isoke Edwards- Najeeullah

Producer

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading Bambara right now. Wish I was home. Much luck and a heap of love to you and the griot crew.

    ReplyDelete